Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I AM SAM

Before class today, I did not really put a lot of thought into documentaries. Sure I researched them a little bit and wrote about them in my previous blog. However, class today sparked some images in my mind, or "pictures in my head," that I had not realized had been there before; I was reminded of the movies I am Sam.

Before I watched the movie, I am Sam, I had never really thought about a mentally disabled person having/parenting a child. Throughout the movie, Sam is fighting for custody of his 7 year old daughter because to avoid looking smarter than her father at her young age, she was holding back in school -- therefore, police took her away with thoughts that Sam was unable to properly care for his daughter. The lesson comes from their true love and affection for each other that Sam's cold-hearted lawyer begins to see, as does the audience.

I can remember crying the first time I watched this movie, as well as every time after that. Although Sam is not played by someone who is actually mentally retarded, the true story that the producers attempted to bring to life for the audience was portrayed very vividly. For me, a whole new view point on the capabilities of the "differently abled (Anne Fadiman)" were definitely changed by the message that was given. The focus, for me, was not on the actor playing the role -- but rather on the message of true love, family devotion, and overcoming obstacles to obtain those two things.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."


See for yourself...


1 comment:

B. Weaver said...

I want to see this now.
Thanks for blogging about it.
You've peaked my interest. I put it on my queue on Netflix.